Friday, March 21, 2014

Today is Human Rights Day in SA

Today we each refereed three matches at Paarl Gym, a high school athletic complex.  Mine were U16, U19, then U16 again.  U15 and U14 were also played.  One of the teams was New Orleans so I, of course, asked if they were from the states and the answer was no.  I was told before the day started that the parents at this event would be more vocal than those we had previously seen.  When I arrived at my first pitch for kickoff at 8:30 there were hardly any parents around and there were still not very many parents at my field for my final kickoff at 12:30.  The other referees didn't have any problems with spectators either so that was good.

It was very hot during the afternoon.  The temperature was probably only in the low 80s but the sun was playing no games.  At halftime of my final game I decided to take a seat near some spectators under a shady tree.  After sitting there on a hill for a minute a kid, maybe 12 or 13 years old, appears next to me, arm extended, with a can of grape flavored Fanta in hand.  I didn't get his name and I don't know where he went after he gave me the drink but I appreciated his very kind gesture.

Bergpad update: The trail is actually 2.33 miles.  I beat Ryan by one second but lost to Evan by 10 seconds but it was Evan's personal best so I take some credit for that.



Fans watching from the shade

The clubhouse


U19

U16




U15

Left to right: Evan, Jason (non-academy), Kahlil, Hendrick (our admin), Neil (non-academy), and Emily.  Ryan and Geoff not pictured


No comments:

Post a Comment