Saturday, April 5, 2014

Real Saturday rugby

Today, we referred our first club games. We were told there would be a good-sized crowd. We we told the fans were passionate and would be heckling us in Afrikaans all game. We were told to take the players firmly in our fists from the start of the game and, if we thought it would be appropriate, relax our hold later in the game.

Geoff and Ryan went to one place for their Super League C games while the Americans went to Sir Lowry's Pass for Super League B games. Each club in Western Province is required to have one U20 side and three senior sides. Emily reffed the U20, I the 3rd side, and Evan the 2nd side. The 1st side refs will be appointed by WP and the 3rd and 2nd refs will AR for the 1st game. Our games were between Sir Lowrians (less disciplined and enjoyed back play) and Milnerton (bigger and more structured).

The first half was 28 minutes long and I handed out my first yellow card on SA soil to the home #15 within 7 or 8 minutes of kickoff. Sir Lowrians committed two defensive penalties within 10m of their try line so I stopped the game and told the captain to tighten up. Their fullback, on the very next play, jumped offside and tackled the ball carrier and was sin binned shortly afterward. Milnerton scored.

There were other instances throughout the game where SL committed penalties that were absolutely unnecessary. For example, at the first scrum the #9 put in the ball before I was ready to give the signal (tap on the back). Free kick. Two scrums later I was on the opposite side of the scrum. Again he put the ball in before I was ready (point). Penalty. He waited for the signal from then on.

Toward the end of the game there were two separate flare ups but they were sorted out before escalating. I told both captains to control they're players, which they did, but the breakdowns became messy. My focus for the game was consistency at the rucks but it's easy to be consistent when the players are not tired and irritated with each other, the ref, and the other team. I believe I was able to keep my composure and manage the final minutes of the game and that was a confidence builder for sure. +1

The score was closer than I think it could have been with Milnerton winning 24-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment